Nimona Fan Forum

A Fan Forum for the discussion of the Nimon webcomic by Noelle Stevenson. This Forum is brand new so please help us get started by posting comments!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Suggestions on better organization from experience with other forums

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dodes

PostSubject: Suggestions on better organization from experience with other forums   Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:40 pm

So first, let me thank whoever decided to set this forum up. Of course it's a bit deserted to start with, but I'm sure if the administration cooperate with Noelle, some links on her page could be made to lead the community interested here and get a sizable dedicated fanbase.

Now I'm not 100% sure on how this forum format is used, so some of my suggestions may not be feasible and that's fine.

1. Stickies explaining the use of every subforum, additionally with a concise description for every sub on the main page. Doesn't necessarily have to a firm authoritative tone either, humor is always good.

2. On the main page that views all the subs, each subform link should be organized from top to bottom in relevance to Nimona. So general discussion, each new issue twice per week, etc. with then more and more off topic subs towards the bottom. The exception to this should be a community/technical sub, which should be at the very top or the very bottom. Non-English subs would also be at the absolute bottom, even if they were ontopic, but I think it's a wee bit early to be concerned about that.

3. Topics/Questions not as subs. This isn't absolute, but subs should be extremely vague and open ended. So instead of "Heroes vs Villians; What Defines Them?", you would have "Nimona Tropes" or something like that, with "Heroes vs Villians" as a topic within that.

I think also some new subs are in order and the merger of others.

So....

Rules and Suggestions should be made topics under a subboard called "Community" which would be about the use of the forum.

A general "Other Media" or "Music, Art, Books" subboard should be created to house "What other webcomics..."

Then a "Off Topic" should be created for anything in your wildest dreams that is not related to Nimona, other media, or the forum itself.

So those are my suggestions, not trying to be bossy by saying "I've been on other forums, thus I'm right", just trying to make it more organized as I believe unorganized forums can break a community or stop new members from joining.

- Cheers!, Dodes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MirandaTam

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on better organization from experience with other forums   Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm

I'd like to second pretty much all of the stuff that Dodes said (though I guess we're probably not using a voting system for this, that would get complicated fast). I think a visual representation would be something like this?

NIMONA FORUM
1. Nimona
--Nimona Tropes
--Comic Discussions
--Forum Stuff (introductions, improving the forum)
2. Other Media
--Other Webcomics
--TV Shows/Movies
--Books/Literature
3. Off Topic (maybe a better name for this one?)
--Forum Games?
--???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Junk

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on better organization from experience with other forums   Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 pm

I'd prefer if you shortened Other Media to just Media (sounds a little more official).
A chat room would be nice. I can recommend a client that is arguably better than the forumotion default.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
King Mob

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on better organization from experience with other forums   Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Try to keep the number of sub forums proportional to the number of active members if you want to promote further activity. Nothing kills a forum faster than a tranche of well-intentioned but completely empty sub topic spaces. For, I'd suggest we had a members area so we can get to know each other, a Nimona area that encompasses all elements of the comic, and a technical issues bit for obvious reasons. If we need to branch these things then let the activity drive that and not vice-versa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Einah

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on better organization from experience with other forums   Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:56 am

I'm just going to go ahead and say that the "Community" and "General Chat" areas confuse me; are they the same thing? They both have "general chat" in the descriptions, and I'm not entirely sure what the boundaries for each are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://einahhh.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on better organization from experience with other forums   

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on better organization from experience with other forums
Page 1 of 1