Nimona Fan Forum

A Fan Forum for the discussion of the Nimon webcomic by Noelle Stevenson. This Forum is brand new so please help us get started by posting comments!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Moral code

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ashark

PostSubject: Moral code   Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:51 am

Heroes and villains are pretty much intrinsically defined by the morality of their actions and their goals. Stylistic cues definitely play a part in defining Good Guys and Bad Guys, but that only goes so far if the characters don't actually behave heroically and villainously, respectively.

Nimona's a perfect example. Blackheart has all the stylistic cues that paint him as the villain and he's very explicitly states to be, but nevertheless he's very clearly nothing of the sort (at least from the reader's perspective.) Noelle tells us he's the villain, but shows us he's the hero.

And then there's Nimona who's really neither. She's like... an amoral non-POV protagonist, wherever that falls on the villain/hero dichotomous scale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Einah

PostSubject: Re: Moral code   Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:38 am

Yes, I absolutely love how she portrays Blackheart; especially what you said about us being told that he's the villain, but we're shown that he is not.

I especially love how surprisingly enough, Blackheart seems to be a good influence on Nimona.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://einahhh.tumblr.com
BlazingFeathers

PostSubject: Re: Moral code   Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:43 am

Einah wrote:
Blackheart seems to be a good influence on Nimona.
I think that's because he's kinda like a parent to her. A fatherly figure, maybe.

And maybe one of the things that Noelle is trying to emphasise in her comic is that in the end there are no real heroes or real villains, everything is in shades of grey. Nimonas universe does kinda seem like a reflection of ours, a mixture of past and future that in the end symbolises the present. What really makes an author/artist great isn't just the beauty of the art or the quality of the writing, but the message they're trying to get across to their audience and so I think that Noelle might be using her universe in the end to make a social commentary on our own reality and idealistically maybe even to convey some key concepts or truths she's come across in her life.
But this could easily all just be a projection of mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dodes

PostSubject: Re: Moral code   Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:00 pm

I think it's clear that Nimona is a chaotic evil and Blackheart is a lawful neutral (maybe good?). Really they shouldn't be matching as they are, which can be contributed probably to the age difference.

Now before anyone jumps at the word "evil", really evil is only defined by not rigidly abiding by societal norms of what is "good". Theoretically if humans lived in a society where killing did not have a negative stigma, Nimona would be "good".

Also please realize I'm not saying murder should be embraced as the next official pastime, if anything a conclusion that I'm insane for proposing murder cannot be viewed as anything but evil is just proof of how strong societal influences/definitions are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Junk

PostSubject: Re: Moral code   Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:15 pm

I believe Blackheart seems to follow a code of honor in the story because he realizes if he doesn't, then he wouldn't be able to carry out his scheme: ending the power of the Institution. At least, at first. However after the seeds have been sown, who's to say he can't be a little more lax on what rules he follows?
This is of course ignoring the fact that Blackheart once respected and worked for the Institution. So Blackheart either once held or still holds the values of somebody who at least respects order. The latest panel, in which Blackheart responds to Goldenloin's response to Blackheart's capture, makes me think of the player in a game who accepts that it's all fake anyway and is merely humoring the other players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archaeopteryx

PostSubject: Re: Moral code   Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:36 pm

I'd argue about Nimona as Chaotic Evil, simply because I always interpreted the difference between Good and Evil as being in the "ends" (Lawful vs Chaotic being the "means"). I'd peg Nimona as Chaotic Neutral, if anything, because to me she doesn't really seem to have "ends"; from all the evidence we're given, her motivation in joining Ballister -- at least initially -- was just to make a mess. She definitely didn't believe in Ballister's motives, at first ("So you're not crazy ... ")

I have a feeling these next few updates are going to change a lot, so we'll see if this interpretation stays correct.

Ballister definitely follows a moral code, and follows it very strictly; I see his character as something like -- the Institution needed a villain, so they made him one; but that's good for him, because staying with the Institution would mean abandoning the principles that were so important to him. And if following those principles makes him a villain, so be it. Honestly, I'd call Ballister Lawful Good as well -- he follows a strict moral code, and acts out of a desire to help people, rather than his own self-interest. (Though I doubt he'd label himself Good.)

As long as we're talking about alignments, I'd call Goldenloin a misguided Lawful Good, if anything. He seems to have genuinely believed that the Institution was doing the right thing -- how much of that was deliberate misdirection by the *ahem* Director and how much of that was willing self-delusion, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moral code   

Back to top Go down

Moral code
Page 1 of 1