Nimona Fan Forum

A Fan Forum for the discussion of the Nimon webcomic by Noelle Stevenson. This Forum is brand new so please help us get started by posting comments!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Musicians/Music

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LittleFirework

PostSubject: Musicians/Music   Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 pm

So since it seems that a lot of us here have mentioned being musically inclined, let's have a music thread! Tell us what instruments you play, what music you make, what music you enjoy, favourite bands, who's more hipster than who, your opinion on the current state of musical affairs, etc, whatever. If you don't play any instruments, tell us what you like anyway (or make something up). Recommend some songs/bands!

I play a beautiful Hofner violin bass guitar named Persephone (because I'm very into the naming tradition. In fact, I've named this thread Orpheus. If you judge me I'll just write a song about it). It's the same kind of bass that McCartney played, only mine looks like a tuxedo because it's black and white rather than the traditional sunburst color scheme. I've been playing bass for about a year, so I've picked some things up but still have a lot to learn.

I've been playing piano for much longer, off and on for about twelve years. My current keyboard of choice is the Casio WK-3000, which has served me well for the last four years (although I still fantasize about keyboards with the weighted keys). I'm mostly self taught, but finally knuckled down and took a piano class from my local college last spring. I learned a lot and am very glad I did it!

I can also sing, under the right circumstances. I've been told I sound like both Regina Spektor and Sarah McLachlan, but that would be under the right circumstances (vocal cords warmed up, mentally prepared, temperature at exactly 74.3 degrees... it's a science [I mean, SSSSSSSCIEEEENCE]). Under other circumstances I can sound anywhere from a dying cat in heat to a pop singer.

I've always wanted to learn the violin and the drums, but I have no idea where I'm ever going to fit them in. Sad

I love all sorts of music, although right now indie/alternative seems to be the common trend in my listening habits. I'm trying to learn how to play jazz bass, meanwhile my music practice people (because we're not really a band) all want to learn heavy metal/hard rock songs, which are decidedly not my favourite (although Muse is my guilty pleasure on that front). I was raised on Paul Simon and Peter Gabriel, so that kind of music will always have a special place in my heart.

My top favourite bands right now (and thus, my recommendations) are Lord Huron, an indie pop/rockish band; Fleet Foxes, an indie folk band; Ben Howard, singer/songwriter; Vampire Weekend, an extremely energetic band with some awesome basslines; and Bon Iver, which someone once told me was the basic requirement for being a hipster. Not sure about that one (and honestly the hipster thing is getting a little exhausted). I could talk about amazing bands all day, though, so I'll just leave it at that...

Go on, baby. Talk... musically to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://afterthenonsequitur.wordpress.com/
Einah

PostSubject: Re: Musicians/Music   Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Heyyy!!

Main instrument: piano. Been classically trained since I was 5 and I prefer Bostons over Steinways (shock gasp!) although my current weapon of choice is a Yamaha keyboard (with weighted keys, aw yea) from the 90s that still sings like a bird.

I also play acoustic guitar; just enough to make people think I'm good even though I'm really not, as any real guitarist would be able to tell in a heartbeat. She's a deep, cobalt blue steel-string and I love her to death. I also pretend to be able to play bass well enough to be in a functions band that just plays random covers depending on the situation.

I also have a fondness for string instruments. I've been learning the cello for a number of years now, and I love writing for strings. I also dabble in violin and I can play the viola (took a while to read the alto clef well, but I managed it!) and these three usually come out either in the functions band or at Christmas time when I go carolling in the local shopping centres, along with my flute, which was also self-taught.

Other various dabblings include drums and ukulele, but piano, cello and guitar are my main three.

I love all kinds of music as almost goes without saying, and my favourite artists (at the moment) include Missy Higgins, Imagine Dragons, Brooke Fraser, Florence + the Machine, Jack's Mannequin, Lost Prophets and Rise Against. But Paul Simon and Peter Gabriel are both beautiful, and I only know one song by Vampire Weekend (M79) but I love that too! But yeah, I do tend to lean more towards indie/alternative as well, particularly artists such as Angus & Julia Stone and Joshua Radin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://einahhh.tumblr.com
strangewolf

PostSubject: Re: Musicians/Music   Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:26 pm

I am a completely self-taught bassist and guitarist. I started playing bass when I was at university, around eight years ago, so that I could be in a band with some old school friends. Soon after I started teaching myself guitar and gradually started to write music and sing a bit. Writing music is now my favourite thing to do and if nothing else I can at least say that my songwriting is continually getting better. (And that my style is somewhat unusual, I think.) If you're interested you can click my www below to listen (for free) to an album that my new band recorded last summer and we just recently released. I'm really proud of it.

My very favourite bands/artists are probably Paul Banks, Rolo Tomassi, Marmaduke Duke, Millionaire, although these are not at all similar to each other. I also like Biffy Clyro a lot and also Queens of the Stone Age and Muse. I also like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Boris and those are probably the best live shows I've seen, although Muse and Biffy are also great live. Then there's also TV on the Radio, Saul Williams, We Are Scientists, Mastodon... All kinds of things.

Both Marmaduke Duke and Millionaire are not so well known I think, so I recommend them a lot. Also Rolo Tomassi, although their music will be to fewer people's tastes.

LittleFirework, please don't feel guity about liking Muse. Chris Wolstenholme is the main reason I first picked up a bass guitar and I was hugely impressed by their latest album, The 2nd Law. I think it's great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.drivingforwolves.com
LittleFirework

PostSubject: Re: Musicians/Music   Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Einah wrote:

I do tend to lean more towards indie/alternative as well, particularly artists such as Angus & Julia Stone and Joshua Radin.
I love Angus and Julia Stone's cover of You're the One that I Want, and their song Bella! Otherwise, I don't know very much about them, but I like Julia's voice a lot.

strangewolf wrote:

LittleFirework, please don't feel guity about liking Muse.
I don't feel too guilty about liking them, because The 2nd Law was indeed fantastic (I'm trying to learn Panic Station on the bass, but slap bass is haaarrrdd /whine). It's mostly guilty because I tell people hard rock isn't my favourite, then someone puts on Muse, and all of a sudden I start involuntarily dancing/headbanging, and then they all give me these really judgmental looks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://afterthenonsequitur.wordpress.com/
Junk

PostSubject: Re: Musicians/Music   Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 pm

I played the piano for about four years in elementary school, tutor taught before I quit in 6th grade.

I practiced the stand up bass until eighth grade in school, and had a brief fling with the electric bass but I didn't follow it out. I plan on picking something up again sooner or later.

Music I have been listening to is entirely chiptune. If you aren't familiar with the genre, think along the lines of old video game music (although there's certainly a lot more to it than that). Some of my favorite artists are Anamanaguchi, Xinon, and Sabrepulse. If you are interested, look up any of those, I would suggest anamanaguchi because they are probably the easiest listening and use the most actual instruments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Einah

PostSubject: Re: Musicians/Music   Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:06 am

LittleFirework wrote:
Einah wrote:

I do tend to lean more towards indie/alternative as well, particularly artists such as Angus & Julia Stone and Joshua Radin.
I love Angus and Julia Stone's cover of You're the One that I Want, and their song Bella! Otherwise, I don't know very much about them, but I like Julia's voice a lot.
Oooh, I love Julia's You're the One that I Want, I had to learn it because it's so hauntingly pretty! Bella is awesome too, but my alltime favourite (and the song that got me into them) is Silver Coin, you should give it a listen!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://einahhh.tumblr.com
MlleLorelei

PostSubject: Re: Musicians/Music   Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Woo yes!

My primary instrument is my voice - I've been classically trained in a sporadic manner since 5th grade, and sometimes can do things that sound like I've had training and other times just sound like a person singing in tune. I'm a soprano but most comfortable as a mezzo. Singing, especially with other people, is one of my favorite things. It's important.

I know enough piano to plunk things out with my right hand in order to learn them, and I was once quite accomplished on the recorder but haven't practiced since 8th grade. I got a ukelele for Christmas last year and have been teaching myself over the last 10 months. I'm doing pretty well but still have relatively little facility with the instrument. I'd like to learn plucking patterns, etc. But it is nice to have something I can accompany myself on.

I'm hearing a lot of bands here for the first time and a lot of others that I like, too. Give me Fleet Foxes, Neko Case, Joan Baez, Of Monsters and Men, Indigo Girls, any day. My current obsession (and for the past year and a half, too) is Amanda F#@*ing Palmer, whose music is wayyyyy out in unexpected land for my usual tastes but she as an artist and her music together have been just flipping my world in the best way for a while now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Musicians/Music   

Back to top Go down

Musicians/Music
Page 1 of 1